Sunday, November 4, 2007

CVA Nordic! Duathalon debut


What a great day for our first event as CVA Nordic. I weas worried about the hurricane lousing things up, but it was a beautiful day. This early in the season, we weren't able to arrive "en masse", but it felt good to be out as a team nonetheless (our actual contingent of competitors was one past-his-prime coach (*raises hand*) and senior Lindsey Mathes, who took pity on me and did the running section so I didn't have to). Bowdoin puts on an awesome event: a 5k run, followed by a quick transition to ski gear and then a 6k rollerski. Lindsey and I shamelessly took advantage of doing a no-time-lost handoff instead of switching to ski boots, but alas, it was not enough to move us up to the podium. Actually, Lindsey ran quite well; shes coming off a good xc running season and is in great shape. It was also nice to see former athletes of mine like Sam Mathes (who skied to a blistering 4th overall), and my old coaches Becky Woods and Bob Flynn. New Gould head coach Jeremy Nellis (congrats are in order for succeeding the legendary Dick Taylor) was also present, shaming me by doing the entire race himself. In all it was a nice day to ski and catch up with friends. Our next team event will be the Atomic sprints
in early december, where we *do* hope to arrive en masse, with our younger skiers and Coach Weissman (who is currently with the school in Switzerland). But there will be some blog posts before then from training sessions, or whenever I get bored on the weekends. Yes, I really do sit at home tapping my toe waiting for the snow to fall...

No comments: